Wednesday, May 31, 2006

On bringing up children

The scariest thing about having children is not the 9 months pregnancy, neither is it the 10h labour. It is really the lifetime of bringing them up to be independent, self-reliant (are they the same?) individuals with integrity.

i do not need my children to be brilliant doctors and lawyers (tho' Daddy has been saying that to Baby even before he was born.. haha..), but I just want them to be able to stand on their own 2 feet. I also just want them to be OUR children. I don't think that is very much to ask for.

As new parents, I only want the 'space' to be able to bring up my kids the way we want them to be, to have the 'space' to make the mistakes that we should be making and to find out what works and what doesn't with our little one. Afterall, everyone else who has had children already had the chance to do so. And if they feel that they didn't do it right the last time round, I am sorry to say, "your opportunity is over, this is someone else's assignment now". Also, if they feel that they are more "experienced", I would say, "thank you for your advice, but I will see if they are applicable to my children. Please do not impose your thoughts and your values on me. I am afraid they may be very different."

I want to be able to know that we have done our best to provide for our children and that whatever went right with them, we were part of it. Also, I do not want to live with the regret/ guilt/ resentment that I have to blame someone else for anything that has may not have gone as we have desired.

ps: I want my children to grow up knowing that Daddy and Mummy will always be there for them, always...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...