Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Our rules!!

Got this off someone else's blog:
Hope this time round the folks would be too busy with the firstborn so that Hubby and I can really get a routine down with the second-born.
This time round, NO carry to sleep!!!!
Carry to comfort & calm down, okay, but not to make the baby sleep.
NO bad guilt about milk supply!!!
NO STARING at my boobs while I breastfeed please!!!
NO FORMULA MILK until *I* say so!!!
Basically The Baby Whisperer has a good routine (E.A.S.Y) for babies so that everyone's lives are more predictable and manageable:
E: Eat
A: Activity
S: Sleep
Y: Your time

Looks like the "carry to sleep" is a universal issue!! This is the very problem that I am facing. K simply has to be carried to sleep in the afternoons. However, I notice that he is more so like this on weekends when he is at his grandparents' place. I think he knows that there are A LOT of people there who want to carry him. He is usually quite cooperative when he's home alone with me. He knows that I will not give in to his crying easily and the tantrums stop in a shorter period of time and he falls asleep. Like this morning, he woke up at about 8am with wind in his tummy. I didn't have to carry him up. I just had to rub is tummy, pat him a little and he went back to sleep after passing out the wind. The same goes for his night sleeps. He can fall asleep on his own..

I think that many people do feel a sense of accomplishment when the baby falls asleep in their arms. It's like, "looks, I managed to get the baby to quieten down and sleep!!" *big smile* Try getting him to sleep on their own, that's the bigger challenge!

Sometimes, I feel bad to let him cry and cry when there are other people around. Also, when I allow him to cry, some people look at us, thinking that we are idiots, not to pick the baby up to stop him from crying.

My way of dealing with K is only to pick him up to calm him down and then try to get him to sleep on his own, but NOT to hold him till he is very sound asleep. I think he's so used to being carried that he is now a very light sleeper in the afternoons. He sleeps very well in the arms of people but will wake up immediately when put down. This is not good.. sigh.

Back to the statements above, at least i managed the "no formula until i say so" :)

Still trying to go towards the EASY... whatever it is, I have to be firmer and make everyone deal with K according to OUR rules. They only play with him, we have to clean up the mess that's left behind..


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...