Saturday, January 17, 2009

Kieran says...

Kieran is still not very proficient in speaking and so I am not always able to find out the things he did in school for the day. I tend to use whatever little knowledge I have of their activities in school and try to ask leading questions. So this is what I do everyday when I pick him up:

M: Did you have fun in school today?
K: Yes!
M: What did you do?
K: play school (or sometimes he doesn't reply)
M: What did you play with?
K: ...
M: Did you go to the gym to drive the car/ sing song/ draw etc?
K: Yes!
M: What did you eat in school today? (depending on the day of the week) 
M: Cornflakes? Porridge? Bread?
K: No porridge. Bread.
M: What did you drink? Juice or water?
K: Juice
M: What juice? Apple or orange?
K: Apple Juice

So usually it is a hit-and-run kind of situation. He'll answer yes/no to my questions and sometimes he'll be able to actually tell me the stuff he really did.

Last night, over dinner, I was talking to him about school again.
M: What is your teacher's name? Miss..?
K: Miss...
M: Miss Jaslin
K: Miss Jas..lin
M: Do you like Miss Jaslin?
K: Yes! 
M: Does Miss Jaslin sing songs?
K: Yes!
M: What about Su Lao Shi?
K: Su Lao Shi, Zao An!!!
M: :P
Then I showed him 1 finger.
K: yi!
2 fingers.
K: er!
3 fingers
K: san!
M: =D =D =D

I didn't expect him to do 1, 2, 3 in mandarin! We always taught him in English. Looks like his mandarin has got some hope afterall!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...