Thursday, October 16, 2008

asthmatic bronchitis...

That's what the Dr says. Everything seems to be a sudden occurrance. He woke up crying 2 nights ago and we thought he was just being cranky and wanted water or something. He was kicking and crying uncontrollably and because we were rather tired ourselves, we just kept trying to make him go back and sleep. I woke up after a while to find that he was taking very short breaths and breathing really hard. I felt his heart pumping really hard and fast as well. owever, I didn't think that he was having asthmatic problems or had trouble breathing (K never had anything like that before thus I didn't realise or think anything further - lesson learnt here).

We decided not to let him go school in the morning and Daddy stayed home with him yesterday and brought him to the dr.
He came home from the dr with loads of medcines and the nebuliser. I didn't like it that he was put on steroids, but I guess we'll have to break the asthmatic cycle somehow first. It was difficult to get him to use the nebuliser as he was absolutely terrified of it. I think it's the sound and the vapour that was coming out of it. Anyway, long story short, it's real big trouble getting him to take the meds and use the neb every 4hrs!

This morning, we somehow managed to get him to be not so afraid of the neb anymore. He allowed me to use it on him while Daddy carried him, watching Shrek. At least he got most of the meds in him. Nonetheless, I think the 2 of us inhaled quite a bit too.


Here's the list of his meds:

  1. Prospan - cough/ expectorant/ mucolytic/ bronchodilator
  2. Klacid (clarithromycin) - antibiotics
  3. Prednisolone - steroid to reduce inflammation
  4. Ventolin - to open the airways
  5. Pulmicort - preventive steroids
  6. Fluimucil - mucolytic
Ventolin and Pulmicort are used together in the nebuliser. Hopefully the dr says that we won't have to use Pulmicort anymore.


That's Daddy and Kieran playing with the neb mask!


Finally not so scared of it anymore..!!


Getting scared when it was turned on and the vapours started coming out.


That's him watching Shrek and using the neb.

edit:
Dr said that we had to continue with the neb for a few more days but she said that I could reduce the pulmicort to only once a day only. the other times of nebbing to use only ventolin. I told her I would stop prednisolone and she oked that. She also said to give him zyrtec which i stopped for awhile. maybe that was y the cough aggravated. hmm..

Anyway, he cried and cried when we nebbed him just now. poor baby. I think he was really tired as well cos he napped very little in the afternoon. Almost fell asleep towards the end. When we were done, I went to the kitchen to make milk for him and when I returned, he was already asleep!!

Yes, also gotta thank tw for whatever she did to help Kieran. Thanks!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...